Highlands & Islands

Fine after worker electrocuted working on line at Alness

Electricity company Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission has been fined £133,000 after a worker was electrocuted on a power line.

Gareth Aitken, 26, died while working on the Beauly-Dounreay line at Contullich Woods at Alness on 2 August 2012.

Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission pleaded guilty to breaking health and safety legislation.

The company was fined following a hearing at Tain Sheriff Court.

Mr Aitken was using a suspended work platform to replace the cables between the pylons on the line.

He came into contact with a charged electric cable while moving the platform to a lower position on the pylon and was electrocuted.

Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission admitted failing to adequately ensure a safe system of work was in place.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites