NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Boy dies after 'choking' at Newtonhill sports centre

Bettridge Centre
Image caption The incident happened at the Bettridge Centre in Newtonhill

A five-year-old boy has died after apparently choking at an Aberdeenshire sports centre.

Grampian Police said an ambulance crew was called to the Bettridge Centre in Newtonhill shortly before 16:00.

They rushed the child to the Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital but he was declared dead soon after.

A force spokesman said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the boy's death and a full investigation would be carried out.

He said: "The child's parents are aware and officers are with them at this difficult time."

A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites