NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Choke death of boy, five, in Newtonhill 'will hit community hard'

Bettridge Centre
Image caption The boy died after an accident at the Bettridge Centre in Newtonhill

The death of a five-year-old boy who apparently choked on a grape at a sports centre will hit the community hard, a councillor has said.

An ambulance crew was called to the Bettridge Centre in Newtonhill, Aberdeenshire, on Tuesday.

They rushed the child to Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital but he was declared dead soon after.

Local councillor Ian Mollison said: "Newtonhill is a close-knit community. This will hit everyone hard."

He told BBC Scotland: "It's devastating, it's unimaginable - every parent's nightmare."

A Grampian Police spokesman said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the boy's death and a full investigation would be carried out.

A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites