MoD censured over cadet Kaylee McIntosh's death

Kaylee McIntosh Kaylee McIntosh drowned after a boat upturned in 2007

Related Stories

The Ministry of Defence has been censured over safety failings that led to the death of a 14-year-old girl during an army cadet exercise.

Kaylee McIntosh, 14, from Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, drowned after becoming trapped under a boat during a training exercise in Loch Carnan in the Outer Hebrides in 2007.

No-one had initially realised that Kaylee was missing.

The Health and Safety Executive said there were organisational failings.

HSE's director for Scotland and Northern England, David Snowball, said: "The various investigations into the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident revealed a number of organisational failings by the MOD.

"HSE's investigation has confirmed that primary failings during the activity amplified a number of significant underlying organisational failures.

"In particular, there was evidence of poor planning, leadership and execution of the exercise, coupled with inadequate oversight, procurement, monitoring and training arrangements. These all contributed to the events that took place.

"A Crown Censure is the maximum enforcement action that HSE can take and it serves to illustrate how seriously we take the failings that led to the death of Kaylee McIntosh."

Prevented death

In a statement, General Sir Nick Parker officially accepted the Crown Censure, acknowledging health and safety failures.

"Today, I have accepted a Crown Censure on behalf of the army in relation to the death of Cadet Kaylee McIntosh, while on cadet camp at Loch Carnan in August 2007," he said.

"We recognise the failings by the Army and, once again, we apologise unreservedly for how they contributed to Kaylee's death.

"The Army will continue to support the McIntosh family for as long as they need it."

Kaylee was one of 34 cadets on the training exercise when her boat overturned.

A fatal accident inquiry into the incident heard evidence over 10 days.

Sheriff Alasdair MacFadyen published his findings in 2009, saying that a number of precautions could have been taken that would have avoided the accident or prevented Kaylee's death.

In November, the man responsible for the expedition was fined £5,000.

Major George McCallum, 52, admitted health and safety charges at Inverness Sheriff Court.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North East, Orkney and Shetland



7 °C 7 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Cartoon of women chatting on the metroChat wagon

    The interesting things you hear in a women-only carriage

  • Replica of a cargo boxSpecial delivery

    The man who posted himself to the other side of the world

  • Music scoreFinal score Watch

    Goodbye to NYC's last classical sheet music shop

  • Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton checks her Blackberry from a desk inside a C-17 military plane upon her departure from Malta, in the Mediterranean Sea, bound for Tripoli, Libya'Emailgate'

    Hillary gets a taste of scrutiny that lies ahead

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show


  • A robotClick Watch

    The latest in robotics including software that can design electronics to solve problems

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.