Burnt seven-year-old Preston Flores in 'critical condition'
- 19 April 2014
- From the section NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland
A seven-year-old boy who was badly burnt in Aberdeen is in a "critical" condition in hospital.
Preston Flores suffered burns to much of his body after an incident thought to have involved petrol on Friday.
He was taken to the Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital before later being transferred to the intensive therapy unit at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh.
Officers said there was currently "no evidence of any deliberate act".
Eye witnesses reported seeing the boy running between two blocks of flats with flames covering much of his clothes.
They said the flames covered him from his neck to his legs and his clothes had melted into his skin.
The incident happened in the city's Bedford Avenue at about 14:00 on Friday.
Speaking on Saturday morning, Ch Insp Nick Topping of Police Scotland said officers had spoken to a number of residents about what they saw or heard.
He said information from locals that the incident may have involved petrol from a council van was "forming part of the investigation" but it was "too early to say exactly what the circumstances were".
He added: "I can confirm that the young boy who was injured is seven-year-old Preston Flores. We can advise that he was transferred last night from Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital to the ITU unit at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh.
"We understand he is still in a critical condition.
"Our investigation into this tragic incident will continue today and I would reiterate that so far there has been no evidence of any deliberate act. Working with partners we continue to provide support to the families and the wider community affected."
Ch Insp Topping thanked the local community for its assistance, which he said had been "very helpful and important to our inquiry."
Anyone who has any information is urged to call Police Scotland on 101 or the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.