NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Garry Munro jailed for murder of Buckie pensioner

A man has been jailed for life for murdering a pensioner at his home in Moray.

A court heard that Garry Munro's "brutal and unprovoked attack" on James Robson inflicted such serious injuries that the victim died a year later.

Munro, 32, was found guilty of murdering Mr Robson, of Buckie, by repeatedly kicking, stamping and punching him on his head and body.

He had previously been found guilty of attempted murder before Mr Robson died.

The victim suffered catastrophic brain injuries and was left bed-bound.

Mr Robson was 66 when he was attacked on 10 July 2012. He later contracted pneumonia and died at Seafield Hospital on 15 June 2013.

Lord Glennie told jurors at the High Court in Edinburgh after they returned their verdict that they would no doubt be "slightly surprised" to hear the background to the matter and that there had already been a trial before Mr Robson's death.

'No weapon'

The judge told Munro: "You have already been convicted of attempted murder on this same matter. That was before he died of his injuries."

Munro, was convicted of the attempted murder of Mr Robson in 2013 and is serving a nine-year term.

He had been freed under three bail orders at the time of the attack.

Defence solicitor advocat Iain Paterson, said: "He has been convicted of a brutal assault, there is no getting away from that. However, in this instance no weapon was involved."

The killer's stepson Reece Munro, also known as Kray, also stood trial for the murder of Mr Robson, but the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge of culpable homicide.

The 19-year-old was imprisoned for four years after he was found guilty of attempted murder in 2013.

Lord Glennie said that because of the youth's age he would require to get a background report before sentencing him next month for the killing.

'Lot of thumps'

Munro's former partner, Georgina Kray, 44, earlier told the court that Mr Robson had sat close to her and Munro on a bus before the fatal attack occurred.

She had claimed that the murder victim and had looked down her top.

She said that at the time she lived beside Mr Robson.

She told the court that Munro had later left their home to go to the older man's house.

Her son Reece went to see what was happening, and "a lot of thumps" were heard coming from Mr Robson's house.

Munro came back to her property and washed blood off training shoes.

Lord Glennie warned Munro that he should not expect to be released at the end of the minimum 16-year term he was imposing.

The two sentences will run concurrently.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites