Scotland business

ScottishPower fined £1.75m after worker badly scalded

Longannet Power Station Image copyright Scottish Power
Image caption The incident happened at Longannet Power Station in October 2013

ScottishPower has been fined £1.75m after a worker was badly scalded at Longannet Power Station in Fife.

Dunfermline Sheriff Court heard a plant controller suffered serious burns to his chest and legs when steam was released from a faulty valve.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found ScottishPower Generation Ltd knew of the defect.

However, it did not ensure appropriate steps were taken either to repair or remove the valve from use.

The incident happened on 12 October 2013.

Glasgow-based ScottishPower Generation Ltd was fined on Tuesday after pleading guilty to breaking health and safety at work regulations.

Health and Safety Executive principal inspector Fiona MacNeill said after the hearing: "The plant controller suffered severe and life changing injuries.

"This case has highlighted the importance for every employer of ensuring that systems are in place for maintaining work equipment in a safe condition, efficient working order and in good repair"

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites