East Renfrewshire Council
- In local government terms, East Renfrewshire is a relatively young council.
- It was formed in 1996, as a successor to the Eastwood District Council, and its main towns include Newton Mearns, Giffnock, Clarkston and Barrhead.
- The area is characteristically residential and has some of the best-performing state schools in the country.
- Last year, three of its high schools - St Ninian's; Mearns Castle and Williamwood - were among the top five, based on Highers results passed by the end of fifth year.
- The council employs more than 3,000 people.
- It has a population of almost 90,000 residents.
- Within its boundaries is Europe's largest onshore wind farm , Whitelee, on Eaglesham Moor, which has 140 turbines.
- It also has the popular Edwardian Rouken Glen park featuring a boating pond, play and skate boarding parks, a large waterfall, woodland walks and a walled garden.