Argyll and Bute Council
- Argyll and Butecovers the second largest administrative area of any Scottish council
- The population stood at 90,040 in 2009 and the authority employs about 4,284 people
- The council's current budget is about £260m
- Its administrative HQ is Lochgilphead and the area includes the islands of Colonsay, Islay, Mull Coll and Tiree
- In September last year, the councilapproved a £6.3m plan to redevelop Helensburgh'shistoric town centre and West Bay esplanade. The work is due to be completed by May next year
- The issue ofrural primary schoolshas dominated local politics over the last few years. The council's primary school capacity stands at about 11,500 pupils, but it has a roll of about 6,000. Argyll and Bute's rural primary school closures are now on hold while the Scottish government looks into the subject of rural education.