South Scotland

Dog electrocuted walking along Galashiels street

Engineers are carrying out checks after a dog was electrocuted as it walked along a pavement in the Borders at the weekend.

Passers-by are reported to have seen sparks coming from a pipe attached to a building before the Collie-Lurcher was killed crossing a puddle.

Police sealed off an area of the High Street in Galashiels after the incident on Sunday afternoon.

Scottish Power said they were working to establish the cause of the accident.

Engineers were called out to shut down the supply and make the area safe.

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "We can confirm we attended an incident in which a dog was electrocuted.

"The pavement was taped off and Scottish Power were informed and the incident passed over to them."

A Scottish Power spokesman said: "We are checking the infrastructure of the building, but as yet we still do not know what happened. The matter is still under investigation."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites