Meningitis alert after cases in Dumfries and Galloway
Public health officials in Dumfries and Galloway have issued a meningitis alert after a five-year-old girl from Annan and a 34-year-old Dumfries man were struck down by the bug.
The girl was airlifted to Yorkhill Children's Hospital in Glasgow where her condition was reported as serious.
The man was said to be responding well to treatment in Dumfries Infirmary.
Public health officials said there was no link between the two cases but the public should remain vigilant.
It brings the total number of meningitis cases in the region to four so far this year, compared with one for the whole of 2010.
Public health consultant Dr David Breen said although there was no link between the latest cases, the public needed to be extra vigilant about potential symptoms.
They include fever and/or vomiting, severe headache, rash, stiff neck, dislike of bright lights and possible seizures.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes which cover the brain and spinal cord and can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection.