South Scotland

Newton Stewart industrial fire caused by refuse burning

A fire which sparked an explosion scare at a south of Scotland industrial estate is thought to have been started by the burning of rubbish on the site.

The flames spread to a storage area containing timber and gas canisters on Monday afternoon in Newton Stewart.

An exclusion zone was set up around the Barnkirk Industrial Estate as the fire was brought under control.

The fire and rescue service has urged people to be vigilant if burning refuse in dry conditions.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites