South Scotland

Peebles party stand-off men jailed

Northgate Peebles
Image caption Police welcomed the sentences handed out to the men involved in the stand-off

Four men have been jailed for between three and six months for their part in a stand-off with police which shut down the centre of a Borders town.

More than 30 police officers attended Northgate in Peebles after a party spiralled out of control in January.

Missiles were thrown and the fire brigade called out.

Sheriff Kevin Drummond said such behaviour would "simply not be tolerated" and jail terms for the men were "the only option".

Peebles Sheriff Court had previously heard how police had originally been called out to deal with an alarm going off.

They then became aware of excessive noise in a nearby flat and went to investigate.

They were met with a "volley of abuse" and later batteries and parts of a banister were thrown at them.

Eventually the flat door was opened and police stormed into the property.

William Drynan, 31, of Upper Craigour, Edinburgh, plus Oliver Eaton, 20, of Violet Bank, Peebles; David Stanton, 26, of North Street, Peebles and David Manson, 23, of Broughton, Peeblesshire, admitted behaving in a threatening manner, making threats and putting others in a state of fear and alarm.

Stanton received the longest sentence and was jailed for 216 days. The court heard he had 16 previous convictions and was on bail at the time.

'Robustly policed'

Eaton was jailed for 135 days, Manson was sentenced to 162 days and Drynan given an 108-day term.

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "We are pleased to see that the sentences imposed reflect the gravity of incident that occurred.

"Peebles and the Scottish Borders is a safe place to live and visit and local officers work hard to ensure the community and those that pass through are kept safe."

He added: "The impact of party houses on an area can be significant and these sentences should send a clear message to all that such behaviour and disorder will be robustly policed and offenders brought before the courts."

Five other men had previously had their not guilty pleas to being part of the disturbance accepted.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites