South Scotland

Cigarette blamed for Hawick fire

A discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a fire at a house in the Scottish Borders at the weekend.

Firefighters were called to a blaze in the bedroom of a property in Hawick's Princes Street at 12:50 on Sunday.

A 59-year-old woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and shock.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said many incidents of fires being started by cigarettes were "entirely preventable" and advised smokers to take extra care in the home.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites