South Scotland

Hawick man jailed for sex with 12-year-old

A man who had sex with a 12-year-old girl who had been reported missing has been jailed for 32 months.

Jamie Fraser, 24, of Buccleuch Street, Hawick, joined the youngster in bed at his flat after drinking Lambrini wine with her and others.

A judge at the High Court in Edinburgh told Fraser that the offence he had admitted was a "very serious one".

Lord Turnbull told him that he would have faced a four-year sentence but for his guilty plea.

The court heard how the girl and Fraser had met through friends and started texting one another.

She arranged to spend the night at his home on 16 July last year but told a parent she was staying with a girlfriend.

She then caught a bus to Hawick and was met by Fraser who took her back to his flat where they joined another couple and shared two bottles of Lambrini.

The court was told that the girl later went through to his bed and he joined her and had sex with her.

The girls left the following day but had been reported missing by their parents and the police were waiting for them.

Officers later interviewed Fraser who admitted having intercourse with the girl.

He said he did not know her actual age but thought it was under 15.

Fraser, a schizophrenic, admitted having sex with the girl and raping her at the house where he lived alone.

Lord Turnbull told him: "The offence to which you have pled guilty is plainly a very serious one.

"However, the circumstances in which the offence occurred are relevant and do impact upon the seriousness of the particular conduct you engaged in."

The judge pointed out that the law was designed to protect young girls from sexual activity.

'Seriously ill'

He told Fraser: "As an adult you were very well aware that such conduct with such a young girl was unlawful."

The judge added that it was clear from a psychiatric report that Fraser had been seriously ill in the recent past and the illness would have impaired his emotional development.

As well as the jail term he ordered Fraser should be kept under supervision for a further three years.

Defence solicitor advocate David Allan said it was recognised that imprisonment was "inevitable" and Fraser understood he had been assessed as a high risk.

However, he pointed out that Fraser had co-operated fully with the authorities.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites