South Scotland

Hawick sheltered housing fire trio require treatment

Three pensioners have been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in a flat at a sheltered housing complex.

Fire crews were alerted shortly before 13:00 on Monday to the incident at Douglas Haig Court in Linden Crescent in Hawick.

The three men - aged 70, 80 and 87 - were treated by paramedics while firefighters checked nearby properties to ensure residents were safe.

The fire is understood to have started in the flat's kitchen.

Two fire crews from Hawick were supported by colleagues from Selkirk and Galashiels.

Douglas Haig Court comprises 33 flats and bungalows and is administered by an Edinburgh-based housing association.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites