Abbotsford House alarm caused by vacuum cleaner dust

Abbotsford House The alarm was raised at the recently renovated building in the Scottish Borders by dust from a vacuum cleaner

Fire crews were sent to the historic home of Sir Walter Scott in the Borders after vacuum cleaner dust triggered an alarm system.

Firefighters from Galashiels were despatched to Abbotsford House near Melrose just after 09:00.

However, it turned out to be an automated call-out caused by the dust.

The famous building was officially opened earlier this month by the Queen following a multi-million pound refurbishment.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC South Scotland

Weather

Dumfries

5 °C 2 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Dana Lone HillDana Lone Hill

    The Native American names that break Facebook rules


  • Painting from Rothschild collectionDark arts Watch

    The 50-year fight to recover paintings looted by the Nazis


  • Mukesh SinghNo remorse

    Delhi bus rapist says victim shouldn't have fought back


  • Signposts showing the US and UK flagsAn ocean apart

    How British misunderstanding of the US is growing


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • StudentsBull market

    Employers are snapping up students with this desirable degree

Programmes

  • 3D model of Christ the Redeemer statueClick Watch

    Using drones to 3D map the famous Brazilian landmark Christ the Redeemer

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.