Firefighters save calves from Newton Stewart blaze
Firefighters have saved dozens of calves after a blaze broke out in a farm building in the south of Scotland.
However, 10 calves died in the fire which happened at Kirkvennie Farm in Wigtown shortly before 06:25.
Newton Stewart station manager Joe Shepherd said the shed contained about 80 calves and 10 tonnes of hay.
Firefighters from Newton Stewart, Whithorn and Gatehouse of Fleet helped to bring the flames under control.
The fire crews also led most of the animals to safety.
Mr Shepherd said they had had to act quickly to tackle the incident.
"Eight firefighters were committed in breathing apparatus and four high pressure jets were used to contain the fire before it could spread to neighbouring buildings and threaten to ignite around 30 tonnes of fertiliser," he said.
"Thankfully the crews' efforts successfully prevented the flames from spreading beyond a small section of the shed and also saw most of the cattle removed."
No-one was hurt as a result of the fire, which is believed to have started when a heat lamp set hay alight.
The fire was fully extinguished at about 10:40.