Fire causes extensive damage to Kirkcudbright hotel
Fire has caused extensive damage to a hotel in a town in the south west of Scotland.
The blaze broke out at the Gordon House Hotel in Kirkcudbright just after 20:00 on Thursday.
Staff, residents and customers were evacuated and there were no injuries as a result of the fire.
More than 20 firefighters spent several hours working to bring the flames under control. They left at about 04:50 after ensuring the scene was safe.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the fire broke out in the kitchen area before spreading to the roof of a small, single-storey extension at the back of the premises.
At the height of the incident, crews from Gatehouse, Kirkcudbright, Dalbeattie, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Hamilton were in attendance.
They fought the blaze using six water jets.
It was contained to the rear of the hotel and shortly after midnight dampening down operations got under way.
Hotel guest Edward Connolly, from Glasgow, said: "There was no panic, we just all made our way out of the hotel.
"I was in the room upstairs with my wife Esther when we noticed smoke.
"We made our way downstairs and everyone got out safely."
He said the staff had been "great" throughout the incident.
"We didn't realise just how bad it was until we were out and saw the fire engines arrive and the smoke and flames," he added.
Hotel director Donald Allan said they were pleased that nobody had been hurt and could only praise everyone involved.
"The couple that manage the hotel for us did a great job and we are arranging for accommodation for everyone who needs it," he said.
"Obviously once things are sorted out our aim is to get the hotel open for we have a lot of bookings for the summer."