South Scotland

Melrose Primary evacuated over suspected gas leak

A primary school in the Scottish Borders had to be evacuated following a suspected gas leak.

Scottish Gas was called out to the incident on Thursday morning after a member of staff reported a smell in an office at Melrose Primary.

The mains supply to the site was turned off and pupils were moved into an annex of the building.

Scottish Borders Council said there was no risk to the children but they had been moved as a precaution.

Nursery children were sent home and the nursery class for the afternoon was also cancelled.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites