Tayside and Central Scotland

Faulty light caused Ninewells Hospital fire

Staff outside the hospital
Image caption Hundreds of staff and patients were evacuated

A fire at Dundee's Ninewells Hospital was caused by a faulty light fitting, investigators have found.

The blaze broke out in a female nurses' changing room on level five of the admin block on Thursday morning.

Hundreds of staff and patients were evacuated while firefighters tackled the fire.

No-one was injured but NHS Tayside said the changing room had been "extensively damaged" and some property belonging to staff was lost.

The building was evacuated for about two hours and some patients attending day care were wheeled outside on trolleys.

NHS Tayside said overall patient care was not affected by the fire, though elective surgery was cancelled for the day.

The fire service and health board said in a joint statement: "Following investigations, Tayside Fire and Rescue and NHS Tayside can confirm that the cause of the fire in the nurses' changing room at Ninewells Hospital was due to a faulty light fitting."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites