Tayside and Central Scotland

Man admits knife attack at Dundee flat

A man has admitted stabbing another man after a scuffle at a top floor flat in a Dundee tenement.

Martin Currie repeatedly struck Colin McPherson in the neck and chest before running off.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard Currie had gone to the flat on Stirling Street on 4 March after the relative of a friend was allegedly assaulted.

Mr McPherson was treated in hospital for a 12cm wound to his neck and air in his chest cavity.

Advocate depute Stephen O'Rourke told the court that the flat was occupied by Gillian Cowan, the girlfriend of Mr McPherson.

On the night of the attack Currie, 41, decided to go to the flat along with others to confront Mr McPherson and his girlfriend after an alleged incident involving a friend's cousin.

Ms Cowan had gone out to buy food and locked the flat door with the only key. Currie and the others arrived outside the block at about 1000 GMT.

Mr O'Rourke said: "The accused had, by this time, already armed himself with a small black handled knife which he had concealed in the waistband of his trousers."

The group gained access, went to the top floor flat and forced the door.

One woman went into the living room where Mr McPherson was sitting on a sofa and accosted him about the alleged incident.

Mr O'Rourke said: "Voices were raised and a number of confrontations took place, in the midst of which Currie also made his way toward Colin McPherson.

"The accused by this time had the knife he had brought in his right hand and he then repeatedly stabbed Colin McPherson in the neck, chest and left arm."

The victim began bleeding heavily and Currie and the others left the flat.

Mr McPherson's girlfriend returned home to find him pressing his wounds with blood spilled around the room.

She ran to a phone box and dialled 999 and Mr McPherson was taken to Ninewells Hospital.

The broken off blade of the knife used in the attack was found in the living room of the flat but the handle of the weapon was later recovered in Hilltown Park.

Mr O'Rourke said that one of the doctors involved in treating Mr McPherson said that the injuries to his neck and chest were life-threatening. The victim will also be scarred from the neck injury.

Judge Lord Bannatyne deferred sentence on Currie, who is custody, for background reports and risk assessment.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites