Web ban for teens accused of Facebook 'riot' page
Two teenagers have been banned from using the internet until they stand trial accused of trying to incite riots on Facebook.
A 14-year-old schoolboy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and 18-year-old Liam Allan appeared on petition at Dundee Sheriff Court.
The 14-year-old was arrested along with Shawn Divin, 16, and Jordan McGinley, 18, on 11 August.
Mr Divin and Mr McGinley appeared last week and were remanded in custody.
The schoolboy is accused of encouraging others to riot in Dundee, along with Mr Divin and McGinley.
Prosecutors say the trio acted in a disorderly manner by creating the page between 9 August and 10 August.
It is alleged that the publicly accessible page encouraged people to riot on Dundee city centre on Wednesday 17 August.
The charge against the teenagers says they committed a breach of the peace to the "fear and alarm of the lieges".
It is also alleged that Mr Divin committed the offence having been freed on bail by Dundee Sheriff Court on another matter on Monday 8 August - just a day earlier.
The 14-year-old was released on bail with the condition that he does not access the internet by any means. He made no plea or declaration and his case was continued for further examination.
Mr Allan was making his second court appearance after his arrest last week.
He had been remanded in custody accused of committing a breach of the peace by creating a Facebook event listing that "incited others to riot within Dundee city centre". The 18-year-old was fully committed for trial.
Fiscal depute Ross Cargill opposed bail, but it was granted by Sheriff Tom Hughes.
Allan's solicitor, Doug McConnell, said the teenager had been released from custody on bail, also with the condition that he did not access the internet by any means.
The cases come after disorder spread across a series of English cities.
Violence and looting gripped areas of London and the city centres of Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Gloucester and other towns last week.