Tayside and Central Scotland

Man treated for burns after fire at Perth home

A man was treated for burns to his face, hands and arms following a chip pan fire in Perth.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Cairns Crescent, Hillyland, at about 20:22 on Friday.

The man had been helped from his flat by a neighbour before fire crews arrived.

A spokesman for Tayside Fire and Rescue Service said the man had received the burns as he tried to remove the chip pan.

He was treated by paramedics at the scene.

There had been no smoke detectors in the property.

Severe damage

Station Manager Neil Kerr said: "Recently within Tayside and across Scotland we have tragically seen a number of fatal fires, often attributed to a combination of cooking and alcohol consumption.

"If the house had been fitted with smoke alarms the owner would have been alerted earlier, this would have resulted in him calling for fire crews sooner, avoiding the rapid fire spread and severe damage to his home and most importantly reducing the likelihood of him sustaining injury."

Mr Kerr also praised the quick actions of the man's neighbour.

"Without their quick actions the consequences could've been far more serious," he said. "I can't praise the actions of those involved highly enough.

"This should serve as a stark reminder to the public of the danger of fire within their homes and the need to have working and regularly-tested smoke alarms fitted.

"It also highlighted the need to understand what to do in the event of a fire in the home and the benefits of having a well rehearsed fire action plan."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites