Tayside and Central Scotland

Jenny Methven murder: Police quiz bus commuters

Janet Methven
Image caption Jenny Methven's body was discovered at her home a week ago

Police say they are still searching for the "vital breakthrough" in the investigation into the murder of an 80-year-old woman in her Perthshire home.

Detectives believe Jenny Methven was killed between 10:30 and 14:30 last Monday at her isolated cottage near Forteviot.

Her body was found later that day by her son David.

A week on from the murder, officers are spending the day on local buses in the hope of jogging people's memories.

A post-mortem examination on Wednesday found Mrs Methven died after suffering injuries to her head or body.

Tayside Police have played down speculation that her murder at Kildinny Cottage, about a mile east of Forteviot, could be linked to other crimes in the area, including break-ins and bogus callers.

The investigation has found that Mrs Methven - who was well-known and liked in the local area - spoke to a friend on the phone at 10:30 on 21 February.

Four hours later she missed a bus which would have taken her to a doctor's appointment in Bridge of Earn.

Det Ch Insp Colin Gall, who is leading the investigation, said his officers would spend all day travelling on buses in the Strathearn valley and speaking to people at bus stops in the hope they could unlock "vital evidence" in the murder case.

He said: "Seven days on from Jenny's tragic death and we are making progress but we need the public's assistance to make that vital breakthrough. Our officers will be on the buses today to speak with passengers and I hope that passengers take the time to speak with them.

''Primarily for me, as the head of this investigation, this is an information gathering exercise. But, I am also acutely aware that people are understandably concerned over Jenny's death and it is important that we offer them reassurance."

Witness appeal

Police officers will also be stopping traffic at road blocks in the local area to talk to drivers.

On Friday, the force revealed a number of potential witnesses they wanted to speak to after examining CCTV footage from homes and businesses in the area.

DCI Gall said they also wanted to speak to a man, aged between 35 and 40, who was seen getting on a Perth-bound bus at the stop nearest to Mrs Methven's cottage at 16:30 on the day she died.

He was described as being of medium to stocky build and wearing a dark tammy hat with a light motif on it, a dark puffa-style jacket, a light scarf and hiking boots.

The man was later seen getting off the bus in the centre of Perth.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites