Tayside and Central Scotland

Residents trapped by Dundee flat blaze

Fire in Dundee
Image caption The blaze trapped several people on the top floors of the building

Residents have been rescued from a fire after getting trapped at the top of a tenement in the centre of Dundee.

The fire started in a building on the city's Union Street on Thursday afternoon.

Tayside Fire and Rescue Service said four appliances were called to the scene and firefighters with breathing apparatus entered the building.

A number of residents trapped on the upper floors by smoke were led to safety.

It is the second tenement fire in Dundee in 24 hours.

An overnight blaze saw 15 people rescued and a dog treated for the effects of smoke after it spent six hours in the burning building.

More on this story