Stirling Council suspends quarrying at Bannockburn site

Murray shall Quarry Stirling Council have suspended quarrying at Murrayshall Quarry in Cambusbarron

Related Stories

Campaigners fighting to defend a hill which was used by Robert Bruce prior to the Battle of Bannockburn have welcomed the decision by Stirling Council to suspend quarrying in the area.

Save Gillies Hill have welcomed the Suspension Order for the Murrayshall Quarry in Cambusbarron.

The campaign group have been opposing plans to recommence quarrying at the site since 2007.

Stirling Council said the case would now be passed to Scottish Ministers.

The decision was taken by councillors at a meeting on Thursday following a report by the authority's head of governance and resources.

Council support

Cllr Danny Gibson, portfolio holder for environment, transport and public land said: "The long-running, effective campaign by the local community to protect the area is to be commended.

"The Council has now expressed its support on this matter and the order suspends the quarrying of minerals and will protect the environment at Gillies Hill.

Start Quote

We continue to be hopeful that Gillies Hill can be safeguarded until the review date of 2017”

End Quote Cllr Danny Gibson

"We continue to be hopeful that Gillies Hill can be safeguarded until the review date of 2017."

The row over quarrying at the site began after permission for a small scale operation was granted by the then Stirling District Council in 1982, however there has been little activity at the site for the past 14 years.

Two companies had been granted a licence to quarry, Tarmac and Hanson Aggregate, although both said operations would not begin until 2017.

Fight continues

A Cambusbarron Community Council spokesperson said they were pleased the council had ordered the suspension but warned that the move was not the end of the fight to save the historic site.

They said: "This is indeed great news, but our battle's far from over. The permission to quarry may be suspended, but it may become 'active' once more in the future.

"After all, the original permission, albeit now generally seen as legally flawed, was granted until 2042. But, if the threat remains, then our fight will continue, just as it has these last 6 years. We've always had massive support: it's even greater now."

Stephen Cowan, from Tarmac, said: "Tarmac only own a part of this quarry but we haven't had any contact from the Council about such an order.

"We can't comment further until we receive further details."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tayside & Central

Weather

Dundee

20 °C 14 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Stained glass of man with swordFrance 1 England 0

    The most important battle you have probably never heard of


  • Golden retriever10 things

    Dogs get jealous, and nine more nuggets from the week's news


  • Pro-Israel demonstrators shout slogans while protesting in Berlin - 25 July 2014Holocaust guilt

    Gaza conflict leaves Germans confused over who to support


  • The emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-SabahFreedoms fear

    Growing concern for rights as Kuwait revokes citizenships


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • CastleRoyal real estate

    No longer reserved for kings and queens, some find living in a castle simply divine

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.