Police name woman who died after a fire at a Stirling care home

Wellgreen House Margaret Samson died after suffering serious injuries during a fire at Wellgreen House on 14 February

Central Scotland Police have named a 99-year-old woman who died following a fire at a care home in Stirling.

She was Margaret Samson, from Stirling.

Ms Samson was badly burnt in a fire in the smoking room of Wellgreen House on 14 February. She was taken to hospital but died the following day.

Officers are not treating her death as suspicious, but said an inquiry by Central Scotland Police, Stirling Council and the Health and Safety Executive was continuing.

It is understood the woman's hair caught fire while she was lighting a cigarette. She was burnt on the head and back.

Fire crews responded to an automatic alarm, but the fire had been put out by staff in the home by the time they arrived.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tayside & Central



Min. Night 6 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show


  • A robotClick Watch

    The latest in robotics including software that can design electronics to solve problems

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.