Perth fire: Resident jumped from top floor flat
- 19 February 2014
- From the section Tayside and Central Scotland
A man suffered serious injuries after jumping from a burning top floor flat.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at St Catherine's Square in Perth at about 23:30 on Tuesday. When they arrived, they were faced with a large fire on the top floor of a four-storey block.
The 26-year-old man had already jumped from the flat, and was immediately treated by firefighters and paramedics.
Neighbouring flats were evacuated until the flames were extinguished.
It is understood the resident who jumped from the flat was taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee after suffering serious leg injuries.
At the height of the fire there were four appliances in attendance, along with a high reach appliance and a command support unit.
A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "Six firefighters using breathing apparatus and firefighting jets extinguished the fire while other firefighters evacuated the building and the high reach appliance was also deployed to assist with firefighting and checking for fire spread in the roof space.
"The fire was extinguished a short time later, containing the fire damage to one flat.
"Fire service personnel remained on scene for a period of time cutting away and damping down to ensure there was no further risk of fire spread until all appliances left the scene at 02:16.
"A joint fire investigation will take place today with our colleagues from Police Scotland."
The incident commander, Billy McLintock, praised the efforts of all those involved, adding: "I would like to give my thanks to the firefighters and partner agencies for their swift and effective actions which undoubtedly brought this serious fire to a safe conclusion.
"Can I also take this opportunity to prompt our communities to ensure they have a working smoke alarm fitted in their homes and importantly that they maintain the smoke alarm."