Tayside and Central Scotland

Three men 'tried to lure women before car chase' in Dundee

Three men have gone on trial in Dundee accused of trying to lure a string of women into a car before leading police on a 90mph chase.

Miguel Cover, Christopher Stevens and Michael Sandford, all of London, are accused of driving around the city trying to entice a series of females, including one aged 15, into a car.

It is alleged they then led police on a 90mph chase down the A90 Dundee to Perth road before crashing.

They all deny the charges against them.

Mr Cover, 32, Mr Stevens, 23, and Mr Sandford, 25, each face five charges of behaving in a threatening and abusive manner likely to cause fear and alarm.

Mr Cover further denies two charges of dangerous driving as well as charges of failing to stop when ordered to do so, leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident.

The incidents are said to have taken place on 9 and 10 January in Dundee and Perthshire.

'Phoned police'

The court heard from one of the alleged victims of the men, who said she was walking alone near the Olympia Swimming Pool on East Marketgait at about 22:30 on 9 January when "three or four" men approached her in a black Ford Galaxy car.

The 23-year-old said: "They pulled over and said they were asking for directions. The front seat passenger was speaking to me. I was on the phone to my friend and he asked if I had a boyfriend.

"I said 'does it look like I have a boyfriend? I have a girlfriend'.

"After that there was a lot of 'wooing' coming from the car - I don't know how to describe it. Then they asked if they could join in with me.

"I said no and walked away - then I phoned the police because I was worried what could happen to someone else."

'Lost control'

Road traffic officer PC Michael Fullerton said he and colleagues had been asked to trace the car in the Hilltown area of the city following reports to police.

The 50-year-old officer said the vehicle was traced on Riverside Drive, before it made off towards the A90 dual carriageway to Perth. Officers caught up with the car about 15 miles away, at St Madoes, and attempted to box it in.

PC Fullerton said: "The car was travelling around 90mph and at Kinfauns it tried to take the junction, a slip road that is almost a 90 degree angle.

"They were doing 90mph and lost control, skidded across some grass and collided with a barrier.

"The driver got out and made off westwards on foot, and the front seat passenger also got out and was detained.

"There was a third man who stayed in the car and was also detained."

The trial, before Sheriff George Way and a jury, continues.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites