North East Wales

Man uses flat roof to escape fire near Wrexham

A man has escaped unharmed after an electrical fault set his flat in Rhos near Wrexham on fire in the early hours.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the first-floor property in Market Street at 0300 GMT.

Two appliances attended and officers used hose jets to bring the blaze under control.

The man was alerted by smoke alarms and escaped onto a flat roof.

He was brought down by fire crews using a short ladder.

A fire service spokesman said the cause of the blaze in the lounge/bedroom is understood to have been an uncoiled extension lead, fitted to an oil-fired heater, which overheated.

He urged people to make more use of extension leads in the run-up to Christmas to ensure the leads are fully uncoiled to prevent overheating.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites