England riots: Two charged after social media arrests

Two men have been charged with inciting to commit violent disorder following a series of arrests focusing on the use of social media after riots in England.

The two men, aged 23 and 24 and from Cardiff, are due in court on Friday.

Gwent Police have arrested a 25-year-old Chepstow man on suspicion of encouraging or assisting the commission of a public order offence.

Dyfed-Powys Police also made two arrests - a 15-year-old boy in Powys, and a 21-year-old Pembroke Dock woman.

The teenager was arrested on suspicion of committing incitement to violent disorder after posting on Facebook.

The 21-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of encouraging public disorder by mobile phone messaging.

The suspects were later bailed.

Previously, a 31-year-old man from Newport was arrested, a 21-year-old man from Bangor is on bail and a 27-year old man from Ebbw Vale received a caution.

Police urged people to use social media responsibly and not fuel rumours.

Serious disorder

On the arrests in Newtown and Pembroke Dock, Supt Huw Rees of Dyfed-Powys Police said: "These arrests highlight our commitment to safeguarding the communities of Dyfed-Powys and ensuring that people who break the law are dealt with appropriately and robustly."

Wales has so far been spared the serious disorder seen in several of England's cities, where looting and violence has been occurring since Saturday.

A huge police operation and heavy rain in some areas prevented a fifth night of disorder in England.

Arrests were made following a series of minor incidents in Cardiff on Tuesday night.

Det Ch Insp Andy Davies said: "South Wales Police is continuing to monitor social networking sites and anyone who uses them to attempt to generate disorder in our communities will be traced and dealt with."

On Wednesday night a 31-year-old man from Newport was arrested on suspicion of intentionally encouraging or assisting the commission of a public order offence.

'Irresponsible use'

He is being questioned in police custody.

A 27-year-old man from Ebbw Vale has been cautioned for sending a malicious communication by public communication network.

A 21-year-old man from Bangor was arrested on Wednesday night for incitement to commit an indictable offence.

He has been released on bail and is due before Caernarfon Magistrates' Court on 23 August.

More on this story