Wales

Boy, two, pulled from Cardiff City Hall fountain

A two-year-old boy is in intensive care after being found face down in a fountain outside Cardiff City Hall.

He was pulled out by a passing student, who jumped in after noticing him in the water on Tuesday afternoon.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said paramedics had attempted to resuscitate the toddler at the scene.

He was taken to the city's University Hospital of Wales, accompanied by his family, and the area around the fountain has been cordoned off.

The boy is in the paediatric intensive care unit where he was said to be in a stable condition.

Police have apologised for confusion over the boy's age, which they originally reported as two, then changed to four, and has now been confirmed as two.

Ruth Walker, executive director of nursing for Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, said: "Staff are doing everything possible for the young boy and are supporting the family as best they can during what is a very difficult time."

South Wales Police were called to the fountain at 14:45 BST. The incident is not being treated as suspicious.

Police said officers spoke to witnesses at the scene, and inquiries were continuing.

Image caption The area outside Cardiff City Hall has been cordoned off by police

BBC reporter Mark Hutchings, who went to the scene, said: "A short time ago I spoke to a student who told me how he was on his way to the university around the corner when he saw the boy in the water.

"He jumped in, pulled him out and tried to revive him.

"Other help then arrived, including paramedics who continued the resuscitation."

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said there had been reports that a young child had been found face down in water in Cardiff.

"Paramedics tried resuscitation, before taking him to the University of Wales Hospital in Cardiff," said the spokesman.

A Cardiff council spokesman: "Council staff who work in City Hall were involved in helping with the situation and we thank them for their efforts.

"An investigation is now under way by the emergency services."