Motorist 'critical' after bus and cars crash in Aberdare

Police have renewed their appeal for witnesses to a five vehicle collision in Aberdare which left a motorist in a critical condition.

The woman, 61, was driving a Ford Fiesta when it was involved in a crash with a bus and another car near the Asda store roundabout at 16:15 GMT on Wednesday.

A passenger in her car is also in hospital.

Two other cars also crashed while trying to avoid the other vehicles.

The incident started when a grey Fiesta collided with a red Honda Civic and Stagecoach bus on the A4059 bypass.

When trying to avoid the first vehicles a red Fiesta and a blue Skoda Fabia also then collided.

The 61-year-old woman from Hirwaun, who was driving the grey Ford Fiesta, suffered serious multiple injuries and was taken to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, where she remains in a critical condition.

A 24-year-old passenger from her Fiesta also remains is in a stable condition in hospital.

Five other people suffered minor injuries.

A spokesperson said police would especially like to speak to any witnesses who might have seen how the vehicles were being driven prior to the incident.

"Officers would also like to express thanks for the patience and support shown by the local community whilst the road remained closed for a number of hours during the investigation," the spokesperson added.

South Wales Police said anyone with information can contact Gwaelod y Garth roads policing unit on 02920 527226, or 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Police are appealing for witnesses after a collision between a bus and a car in Aberdare on Wednesday evening injured seven people.

A Ford Fiesta and the bus collided at a roundabout at the junction of the A4059 and the B4275, near the town's Asda store.

Firefighters cut two people free from the car who were then taken to hospital by ambulance.

There were five casualties on the bus, who were said to be "walking wounded".

A total of four people, including the two from the car, required hospital treatment.

The road was closed as an investigation was launched following the incident which happened shortly after 17:00 GMT.

Firefighters said three other cars were involved in the incident.

Two fire crews from Aberdare and a rescue tender from Merthyr Tydfil were sent to the scene.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites