Gleision tragedy: appeal fund reaches £970,000, say trustees

About £6,000 has been sent to the fund this week alone, according to trustees

Related Stories

The appeal fund for the families of the four miners killed in the Gleision colliery tragedy in the Swansea Valley now stands at £970,000.

Trustees expect the fund to top £1m before they officially wind up the appeal, but no date has been given.

They told BBC Wales a large sum has been invested in a high interest account with cheques still coming in.

David Powell, 50, Charles Breslin, 62, Philip Hill, 44, and Garry Jenkins, 39, died when the mine flooded last year.

Start Quote

Wayne Thomas

There are still substantial amounts coming into the fund... I honestly think it will make the million”

End Quote Wayne Thomas Fund trustee

Three others escaped during the incident at the drift mine, near Pontardawe, on 15 September.

Wayne Thomas, trustee of the Swansea Valley Miners' Appeal Fund, described the current total as "phenomenal".

"We need to be careful how we manage this fund," he told BBC Wales after trustees met on Thursday.

He said they have started talks with legal experts about things like setting up trust funds for families and the children involved.

Investigation

"There are still substantial amounts coming into the fund still," said Mr Thomas.

"I honestly think it will make the million."

The fund has received several donations over the Christmas period, including a big pledge from the pantomime at Swansea's Grand Theatre, along with £6,000 this week alone.

The four miners who died: Charles Breslin, Phillip Hill (top) and Garry Jenkins and David Powell (bottom, left to right) About £6,000 has been spent to the fund this week alone, according to trustees

Two payouts have already been made. One was to the families to help with funeral costs.

The other to the daughter of one of the men who died. She is disabled, and has used the money to buy an electric wheelchair and a specially adapted car.

The fund is expected to be wound up later this year.

An investigation into the mine incident is being carried out by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and South Wales Police.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Wales stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • FordFactory facelift

    Watch as the plant that makes Ford's legendary F-150 undergoes a total overhaul

Programmes

  • Models of roads and cars on a bridgeThe Travel Show Watch

    A world in miniature - behind the scenes at one of the world’s largest model railways

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.