Boy, three, found in garden pond near Llangollen dies

Wrexham Maelor hospital sign The boy was declared dead despite efforts of staff at Wrexham Maelor Hospital to save him

A three-year-old boy has died in hospital after he was found in a garden pond in Wrexham county.

North Wales Police said the youngster was reported missing at Froncysllte near Llangollen at 11:55 GMT on Monday.

The force said officers went to the address and the boy was found a short time later in the nearby pond.

A spokesman said the boy was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital but "despite the efforts of medical staff he sadly passed away".

The police helicopter was scrambled to the area after the alert was raised but it is understood the boy had already been found by the time it arrived and he was on his way to hospital in an ambulance.

A police family liaison officer is comforting the family.

'Terrible tragedy'

North East Wales Coroner John Gittins has been given details of the incident.

He is expected to begin an inquiry which will lead to an inquest being opened after a post mortem examination has been carried out.

One local resident told BBC Wales it was a "terrible tragedy especially so close to Christmas".

She said everyone in the neighbourhood was "deeply shocked".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Wales stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Cerro RicoSatanic mines

    Devil worship in the tunnels of the man-eating mountain


  • Nefertiti MenoeWar of words

    The woman who sparked a row over 'speaking white'


  • Oil pumpPump change

    What would ending the US oil export ban do to petrol prices?


  • Brazilian Scene, Ceara, in 1893Sir Snapshot

    19th Century Brazil seen through the eyes of an Englishman


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SailingGame on

    BBC Capital discovers why certain sports seem to have a special appeal for those with deep pockets

Programmes

  • European Union's anti-terrorism chief Gilles de KerchoveHARDtalk Watch

    Anti-terrorism chief Gilles de Kerchove on the threat from returning Islamic State fighters

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.