Wales

Prince of Wales officially opens Newbridge Memo

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPrince Charles learned about the changes to the Memo

The Prince of Wales has officially opened a newly restored workingmen's institute in Caerphilly county.

He visited Newbridge Memorial Hall, known as The Memo, on Friday morning.

The Grade-II listed 1908 institute and adjoining 1925 memorial hall featured in the BBC television programme Restoration, which it only narrowly failed to win.

The prince has also visited Swansea where he inspected soldiers who have returned from Afghanistan.

As he walked down the street towards The Memo hall, primary school pupils performed Christmas carols while waving Welsh and Union flags.

Soldiers' parade

Joan Davies, 65, was there with her grandson George, who shares the same name as the prince's first grandchild.

She said: "He was quite taken by George and he told me my grandson had a lovely name, although I suspect he must be a little biased."

While in Swansea, Prince Charles watched soldiers exercise their right to march through the city centre.

Troops from 1st The Queen's Dragoons Guards went on parade for the prince, who is their Colonel in Chief, outside Guildhall before the procession on Friday afternoon.

Road closures were put in place.

1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards, also known as the Welsh Cavalry, were the last group of British soldiers to leave Afghanistan's Helmand Province earlier this year.

During the visit, the prince was also given a tour of the newly-refurbished Guildhall, where he met local soldiers' families.

Image copyright Swansea Council
Image copyright Swansea Council

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites