Ched Evans says 'fresh evidence' over rape conviction

Ched Evans Image copyright PA
Image caption Ched Evans was playing for Sheffield United at the time of his arrest

Rapist Ched Evans has submitted "fresh evidence" which he hopes will get his conviction overturned.

The disgraced Wales football international was jailed for five years in 2012 after being found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman at a hotel near Rhyl.

The 26-year-old was released last year after serving half of his sentence.

Evans' website says new evidence has been lodged with the Criminal Cases Review Commission by his lawyers.

It is claimed these details "strengthens" his case.

The statement on his website reads: "The application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission on behalf of Ched Evans was submitted on 15 July 2014 and was given Level 1 priority in September 2014.

"On Friday 23rd January 2015 further detailed submissions - supported by previously unavailable fresh evidence that we believe strengthens Ched's application - were lodged with the Commission."

An earlier bid to gain permission to appeal against Evans' conviction was rejected by three judges at the Court of Appeal in 2012.

Evans has made attempts to restart his career at Sheffield United and Oldham Athletic, but both efforts collapsed in the face of a huge public outcry.

Earlier this month, Evans apologised "for the effects" of his actions in 2011 but continues to maintain his innocence over his rape conviction.

More on this story