Wales

Firm owned by Call Centre's Nev Wilshire fined over death

Nev Wilshere
Image caption Nev Wilshire appeared on BBC Three's The Call Centre

A Swansea firm owned by Nev Wilshire, of BBC Three's The Call Centre, has been fined £500,000 after a pensioner died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

HIS Energy Ltd carried out free cavity wall insulation on Joyce Moore's house after her son was cold called by a sister company.

But workers blocked the flue on her gas boiler and did not warn against using it, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Hours later, the 83-year-old, from Middleton, Greater Manchester, died.

HIS Energy was found guilty of a single breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

The court heard HIS Energy employees visited the property on 9 October 2012 to install the cavity wall insulation but they had blocked the flue.

An employee noticed what had happened but did not switch off the boiler or warn about the consequences.

That evening, after the heating was switched on, Mrs Moore died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mrs Moore's son and two paramedics were also taken to hospital after tests found high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) brought the prosecution. The firm is now in liquidation.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Lisa Bailey said: "The company knew about the risks from its work but its safety standards fell well below the legal minimum.

"As a result, an elderly woman has lost her life."

Related Topics

More on this story