No speed cut on death crash section of A470 in Brecon

Corey Price, Alesha O'Connor, Rhodri Miller, Margaret Challis Image copyright dyfed powys police
Image caption Corey Price, Alesha O'Connor, Rhodri Miller and Margaret Challis died in the crash

The speed limit is not set to be cut on the stretch of the A470 in Powys where four people died in a crash.

Politicians believed it would be reduced from 60mph to 50mph after a review of safety on trunk roads.

The Welsh government said this only identified a section about four miles from the crash site.

Memorial services are being held on Wednesday after the three Vale of Glamorgan 17-year-olds and a 66-year-old from Merthyr Tydfil died.

Alesha O'Connor, Rhodri Miller, Corey Price, from Barry, and pensioner Margaret Challis were killed in Friday's collision.

Powys county councillor Liam Fitzpatrick said he was "extremely disappointed" that the Storey Arms section is not being considered.

He said he will lobby ministers to cut maximum speeds on much more of the A470.

AM for Brecon and Radnorshire and Welsh Liberal Democrat leader Kirsty Williams urged ministers to take immediate action to cut speed limits on "a dangerous stretch of road".

A Welsh government spokesman said: "The review identified a one-mile section of the A470 in the hamlet of Nant Ddu for a speed limit reduction from 60mph to 50mph."

Image caption Floral tributes have been left at the scene of the crash

Work on roads chosen as part of the safety review will include new speed limits and engineering measures and will be carried out over the next five years.

Beforehand, Mr Fitzpatrick had believed the limit would be cut on what he called an "extremely dangerous stretch of road."

Seven teenage boys were arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving but have been released on bail.

Crash survivor Rhys Hunter told BBC Wales he was lucky to be alive.

Memorial services for the victims will be held at St David's College, Cardiff, where Alesha attended, and another at Vale Funeral Services' Windsor Road chapel on Wednesday.

Image caption Rhys Hunter survived the crash which killed three of his friends
Image caption Tributes have been left at St David's College

More on this story