Mid Wales

£11k fine after Powys worker's arm cut off

A business where a circular saw severed a man's arm has been fined more than £11,000.

Brian Morris, 59, of Llanbadarn Fynydd , was clearing sawdust from under the saw when it caught his sleeve and almost wholly cut off his right arm.

The woodworker was taken to hospital where his limb was amputated below the elbow on 23 February 2012.

Stagecraft Display, in Powys, admitted breaking health and safety regulations and will pay £11,865 after costs.

Mr Morris could not return to work because of his injuries and later died from an unrelated illness.

Health and Safety Executive inspector Damian Corbett said: "Unfortunately in this case the saw had not finished rotating despite the fact that Mr Morris had switched it off and he then inadvertently came into contact with the moving blade, suffering a horrific injury."

The company made display equipment for shops and garden centres near Newtown.

More on this story