Ruthin floods: £250,000 to make Glasdir estate safe, says report
About £250,000 in protection work is needed to keep homes safe on an estate which was flooded last year, Denbighshire council says.
A report has said blocked culverts caused devastating flooding to 122 homes on Ruthin's Glasdir estate.
Now, councillors are being told the money is needed to implement the report's recommendations and raise the height of an embankment.
The builder and Welsh government are being asked to help with the costs.
Last week's report by independent investigators said screens around the culverts on Glasdir estate were poorly designed and did not comply with recognised standards.
The council was not blamed but it said lessons must be learnt.
Hundreds of homes in nearby St Asaph were also flooded when the River Elwy burst its banks.
People living on the Glasdir estate said they had been told that flood defences meant there was only a one-in-1,000-year chance of their homes being hit.
The Glasdir report's authors want bunds (an embankment or causeway) raised "as soon as possible" by as much as 1.1 m (3.5 ft) in some areas with regular checks of the defences and a network of flood wardens to monitor flood plains and culverts.
Tuesday's full council report says: "The cost of implementing the recommendation to increase the height of the existing bund is expected to be in the region of £250,000.
"The council is currently in discussions regarding funding contribution with Taylor Wimpey, who own the land on which the existing bund sits and the proposed bund would be built, and the Welsh government."