Cash for Prestatyn's Nova Centre design plans approved
Plans for a £3.6 million redevelopment of a closed leisure centre in Denbighshire have moved a step closer.
Denbighshire council's cabinet approved £108,864 to draw up detailed designs looking at what the Nova Centre in Prestatyn could be used in future.
The centre shut earlier this year after the authority cut funding to the trust which ran it.
In March it was agreed the centre would remain closed while future proposals were considered.
Councillor Huw Jones, lead member for leisure said the decision to approve funding showed the council was committed to providing high quality, sustainable leisure services.
The latest designs are expected to be submitted for consideration in September.
A feasibility study has already been carried out looking at:
- Keeping the swimming pool and small splash pool
- Creating a changing area to serve the pool
- Having fitness facilities to the same quality of those at Ruthin Leisure Centre
- Creating a multi-use space for community events, exercise classes and sports clubs
- Setting up a soft play facility with reception and cafe
- Creating two or three promenade retail units
The Rhyl Sun Centre and North Wales Indoor Bowls Centre in Prestatyn, also closed when the council withdrew financial support for the Clwyd Leisure trust over concerns about the way it was being run.
Councillors have agreed to explore the possibility of re-opening Rhyl Sun Centre for dry activities.