North East Wales

Family treated after dishwasher fire

A fire which started in a dishwasher at a house in Deeside in the middle of the night left a mother and her four children needing hospital treatment.

North Wales Fire Service were called to Sealand Avenue, Garden City, just before 01:00 on Wednesday.

Four children, aged between 16 years and 6 months, and their 43-year-old mother were treated for smoke inhalation.

Police said the fire was caused by an electrical fault with the dishwasher.

The blaze caused fire and heat damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the property, a spokeswoman said.

Chris Nott, from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: "This family were extremely lucky.

"Thanks to the activation of a smoke alarm the occupants were able to escape relatively unharmed."