North East Wales

Greencroft Residential Home scalding death accidental

Beatrice Morgan Image copyright Andrew Price
Image caption Beatrice Morgan died in hospital where she was being treated for scalding

A care assistant at a nursing home where a dementia patient was scalded in a bath had not been given any formal training, an inquest heard.

Former nurse Beatrice Morgan, 88, suffered burns to 18% of her body at Greencroft Residential Home at Aston, Deeside, in August 2012.

North Wales East and Central coroner John Gittins recorded the death as accidental.

In September, Greencroft Care Ltd was fined for health and safety breaches.

Mrs Morgan's injuries were a contributing factor in her death, the inquest in Wrexham was told.

Care worker Nicky Heaps, who said she had worked in nursing homes for about 10 years before she went to work at Greencroft, told the hearing she was given no formal training but shadowed other care workers to learn how things were done.

On the day Mrs Morgan was injured, she ran the bath while two other carers prepared Mrs Morgan.

She told the hearing she used a thermometer and recorded a temperature of 38 degrees centigrade on a log sheet in the bathroom.

Questioned by the coroner, Ms Heaps said she had not been told she should leave the thermometer in the water until the measurement stopped rising and had not been told where to take the temperature.

She told the inquest Mrs Morgan screamed in pain as she was lowered into the water by two care assistants via a hoist.

She was immediately removed and checked over by a nurse.

Image copyright Google
Image caption Greencroft Ltd which ran the home is now in liquidation

After that, Ms Heaps said she could not remember anything.

"I was in shock...even now. It was the most horrible thing," she said, adding that she was no longer involved in similar types of care.

Tracey Davies, who was the acting manager of Greencroft at the time of the incident, told the hearing she had never seen any specific bathing policies at the home.

She said a builder hired to install a shower highlighted that the baths did not have thermostatic valves on the taps to regulate water temperature.

But she could not authorise him to install them because of costs.

Timothy Ogunleye, the owner of Greencroft Ltd, which is now in liquidation, blamed failings inside the home for the scalding and said he had learned lessons so it would never happen again.

Related Topics

More on this story