North East Wales

Sean Mullender jailed for shaking baby son to death

Sean Mullender Image copyright North Wales Police

A father has been jailed for eight years for shaking his two-month-old baby son to death.

Sean Mullender, 22, from Connah's Quay, Flintshire, admitted the manslaughter of baby Daniel in October 2014.

The infant was admitted to the Countess of Chester Hospital on 2 October, 2014, but died two days later after being transferred to Liverpool's Alder Hey.

The baby's family said Mullender had "betrayed" them, following sentencing at Mold Crown Court.

"The sudden and unexpected loss of Daniel in these circumstances has had a devastating impact on our family," they said in a statement.

"The result at court today will never bring Daniel back. He will be missed by every single member of our family and never does a day go by when he isn't in our thoughts.

"He is, and always will be a massive part of our family and we will never forget him."

The court heard Mullender had shaken the infant "with considerable force" causing brain injury and bleeding.

He had denied murder and a guilty plea of manslaughter was accepted by the court.

Sentencing him on Friday, judge Mrs Justice Nicola Davies said he had lied about his actions and acted "with a lack of remorse".

"Daniel was left in your sole care, you were his father," said the judge.

"You held a position of trust both as a father and carer which you grossly abused."

'Spur of the moment'

The judge added that Mullender had been assessed prior to sentencing, and continued to pose "a high risk of serious or significant harm to children".

"You will live with the consequences of your acts for years to come," she said.

His defence said he had acted "on the spur of the moment" and could not recall losing his temper with the child, but accepted he must have caused the injuries.

He said Mullender also accepted that it was unlikely he would ever see his second child again, who was born while he was under investigation.

Speaking after the sentencing, Det Supt John Hanson from North Wales Police, said: "It is a particularly tragic case involving a very vulnerable eight-week-old child who met his death at the hands of his father.

"Daniel has since had a younger brother who will now grow up never being able to see the older brother he once had.

"It has had a devastating effect certainly on three generations of the family - and now a fourth generation."

Related Topics

More on this story