Plans to axe Wrexham fire engine withdrawn by authority
Plans to cut one of the Wrexham's two full-time fire engines have been scrapped - at least until after the May elections.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Authority had planned to slash the service in a bid to save almost £1m by 2020.
But at a meeting on Monday the authority voted to withdraw proposals to drop of one of the town's engines for "the time being".
Campaigner Marc Jones said it was a "fantastic victory for people power".
Councillor Meirick Davies, chairman of the fire authority, said the cuts would be revisited by the new authority, to be formed after the May elections.
In September last year a protest was held over the plans to cut one of the two full-time fire engines and 24 firefighter posts.
The protest coincided with the opening of a new £15m combined fire and ambulance station in the town.