North West Wales

Three children escape house fire in Anglesey

Three children have been treated in hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire on Anglesey.

The house at Brynsiencyn had no working smoke alarms fitted and fire chiefs said a 15-year-old girl and two boys of 13 and five had a lucky escape.

Hot embers falling from an open fire set light to a carpet on Monday evening.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the property suffered significant smoke damage throughout.

Firefighters said they went to the semi-detached property in Barras Road after the father of the children "popped out to a nearby shop" and raised the alarm when he had a call from his daughter.

Hot embers had fallen from the grate of an open fire setting fire to the carpet.

The fire service said the family had "neglected to reinstall smoke alarms" after carrying out improvements to their home.

"The youngsters were extremely lucky to escape unharmed, especially as the 15-year-old girl went back into the house after raising the alarm to remove the burning carpet - our advice is always to get out and stay out," said Mike Owen, of the fire service.

Mr Owen said he could not over-emphasise the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted.

"If the incident had not been noticed so soon then these youngsters may not have made it out of the house safely as they would have been overcome by the smoke," he added.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites