North West Wales

Ffion Wyn Roberts accused 'denied murder to police'

Ffion Wyn Roberts
Image caption Ffion Wyn Roberts was found in a drainage ditch in Porthmadog in April last year

The trial of a man accused of murdering Porthmadog care worker Ffion Wyn Roberts has heard how he told police he was not the killer.

Iestyn Davies, 54, told detectives "It's not me", Caernarfon Crown Court heard.

The body of Ms Roberts, 22, was found in a drainage ditch in Porthmadog, Gwynedd, last April.

Iestyn Davies, 54, also from Porthmadog, denies murder. The case is continuing.

In evidence from police interviews with Mr Davies, the jury heard that he answered "no comment" to hundreds of questions from officers.

But Det Con Dafydd Hughes said Mr Davies had insisted: "You have accused me of murder about 10 times, but it's not me." He maintained he'd "never touched" Ms Roberts.

"She rejected you and you lost your temper?" the detective had said.

But again, the jury heard that Mr Davies had made a "no comment" reply.

'Frenzy of calls'

During cross-examination from defence barrister, Patrick Harrington QC, the jury also heard details of questions put to Ms Roberts' brother, Elgan, by the police.

He was initially arrested on suspicion of murder but later released without charge.

Det Con Hughes agreed that a succession of questions had been put to Ms Roberts' brother about "a frenzy of phone calls" in the early hours before she was killed.

The jury heard that police suggested that he had phoned his sister 19 times in a half-hour period, as well as making other calls to his mother and father.

However, the court heard that Mr Roberts had declared: "I'd never kill her. We did argue sometimes but we loved each other."

Deputy senior investigating officer Det Insp Neil McAdam told prosecutor Elwen Evans QC that the police reached the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence against Ms Roberts' brother, and also against his father Idris, who was accused of assisting an offender.

However, on 23 June further forensic evidence came to light after which Iestyn Davies was arrested.

The case continues.

More on this story