North West Wales

Talybont caravan park fire kills father and son

A 58-year-old grandfather and his 26-year-old son have died in a caravan fire during the early hours.

The older man's wife, 50, and the couple's granddaughter, aged two, were rescued by fellow holidaymakers and airlifted to hospital.

The fire was at the Sunny Sands Caravan Park, near Barmouth, in Talybont, Gwynedd, at about 0145 BST on Saturday.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police have launched a joint investigation.

A white tent and screens have been put up around the caravan.

The fire service said other people staying at the park helped the woman and her granddaughter from the fire.

Three appliances from Barmouth, Harlech and Dolgellau attended.

Firefighters discovered the caravan and an adjacent car were well alight.

Richard Fairhead, area manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was "very fully developed" when crews arrived.

Image caption The Sunny Sands Caravan Park has been run by the same family for over 45 years

"We arrived on the scene less than 11 minutes after the first call and within 15 minutes we had the fire under control and extinguished," he said.

He said the woman and granddaughter had already got out of the caravan before crews arrived.

"Following the extinguishing of the fire we then sadly found that two people had actually lost their lives in the caravan fire and our thoughts go out to the family of those people," he said.

He added that there was no danger of spread to other caravans, as the "spacing between the caravans on the site was suitable and sufficient".

"What had happened at this incident was the caravan was well alight and the family's car which was next to the caravan actually caught light as well, but we quickly extinguished it," he said.

One family has run the park for more than 45 years.

Site director Jeremy Mead said it was the first incident of its kind since it opened in 1963 and they were working with police to try to find out how the fire started.

"My brother lives on the park and he heard what he thought was a firework going off at about 1.45am," he said.

"The next minute there was a mass of smoke and that was it."

He added: "We would like to express our deepest sympathy to the family.

"People have already been calling the park to express their sympathy."

Talybont councillor Eryl Jones-Williams said: "I and the local community here wish to sympathise with the families."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites